Hydro Aluminum has published a very nice design guide for aluminum extrusions. It covers pretty much everything you need to know from the basics, design, technical data, forming, fabrication and finishing. This is one that I’ll add to my design library.
In addition to the design guide, they’ve got a series of case studies oriented around the design and construction of the SylvanSport GO mobile adventure trailer. This well thought out product won a 2008 IDEA Gold from IDSA.
Extrusion Anatomy has five parts:
- Introduction – Shows all the different extruded profiles used in the trailer.
- Alloys – You’ll notice that different alloys are chosen for different areas of the design.
- Bending & Welding – Nice illustrations and videos on how the aluminum tubing is bent and welding to place.
- Adhesive Bonding – Unlike the other structural elements, the floor is assembled using adhesive. There are several images and videos here.
- Aluminum, the “green material” – which explains how aluminum is green because it can be recycled.
A very nice presentation and definitely worth a look.